Register Here
Forum Home Site Home Forum Search Forum FAQ Manage Mail List Chat Room Purchase Contact Us Introduction Letter
Upcoming Events

Upcoming FREE Dating Seminars

To Be Determined

You Are Not Registered Or Not Logged In
If you are not registered or logged in, you may still view these forums but with limited features. You can register by clicking here. If you have any questions, please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Billymo Subject: Help, could this be a scam?
gunslinger

posted on 04-24-2004 at 06:17 Reply With Quote Report Post to Moderator
Help, could this be a scam?

I have recently begun correspondance with a Latvian woman that I met through the Yahoo personals. She seems quite intelligent and honestly interested, but some of the things I have read here make me rather nervous. Her English is not particularly good and she does not own a computer, so a friend of hers, who speaks/types fairly decent English, has been acting as an interpreter for her. We have exchanged a lot of pictures and I offered (like a true sucker!) to send her funds to help cover any translation fees--- but she refused the money because she felt that it might cause strain on a new relationship she wants to develop with me. She said she has no problem covering any costs on her own (and seemed quite proud of it). She also said that it is pretty much impossible for a single Russian/Latvian woman to get a visa to travel to the US and said that she hopes that eventually our relationship will develop to a point where I will come visit Her (in Riga, Latvia), which is the only way we will be able to meet. I have not asked her for a phone number or street address. Her friend who translates the emails is named Julia. I inquired with Julia about how I would go about sending the woman some flowers. Julia responded that she would be happy to do it for me and that the flowers would cost about $40. She told me to send the money via Western Union to the girl I am corresponding with (instead of to her - Julia) and she would settle up with my email buddy later. She said that she does not want any money other than a minimal translation fee, which is being paid by the woman I am corresponding with. So thus far I haven't been asked for any money and we correspond almost daily. My friend has also helped direct me to various sites for information about Latvia and its history and culture, and to sites for information about travel/tourism there and accomodations, exchange rates, customs regulations, etc.
So far everthing appears to be on the up & up as far as I can tell, but I would like to hear some input/advice from some of you who have some experience in this area because I have never corresponded with a foreign woman before, but I am VERY interested in this one (she is 9 years younger than I am, if that matters). She is adamant that we be very patient and take things very slowly in developing a relationship. She is also very honest about the many difficulties we will face in trying to develop this.
Any input or advice will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Replies By gunslinger (only searches replies by default, for topics please run another search) U2U Member
whiteknight

posted on 04-25-2004 at 01:55 Reply With Quote Report Post to Moderator
So far, so good!

I was in Riga last month, and I may go back in a couple of months. I read your post and all sounds good so far. Nobody can really tell if something is a scam until the bait has been dangled out on the hook. Most scams are played out fairly early and can be recognizable by form letters and letters that do not answer questions you asked in previous emails and obvious things like this. Although some scammers are getting more and more sophisticated over time. My advice to you is this - keep going forward but always have your "spider senses" on looking for trouble. Absolutely do not send her money (esp. because she realizes it may cause a strain which it definitely could). Why don't you call her? There are many services that you can use (phone calling card sites like www.masterbell.com and others) where the rate is about 10 cents a minute or even less. If her English is not so good, then ask her if an English-speaking friend can be on the phone also. Better yet, why don't you consider visiting her in Riga. SAS Airlines has some good, reasonably priced fares there. Email or IM me at whtknt77@yahoo.com if you want any more information about Riga. Dennis

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Replies By whiteknight (only searches replies by default, for topics please run another search) U2U Member
e-rw

posted on 04-25-2004 at 06:35 Reply With Quote Report Post to Moderator
Use delivery service

2 gunslinger:
Ask girl about her postal address and use any delivery service to send her flowers. Ask delivery service to make photo, where you should find her getting flowers. Send her snail mail letter with photos of something else, and then ask her if she got it. Ask for the phone number and call using three-way translation first and after that, if everything is ok directly to her. Of course, the right way is to visit her and find out everything you want to know in few days.
View User's Profile E-Mail User User's Site View All Replies By e-rw (only searches replies by default, for topics please run another search) U2U Member
scl08816

posted on 04-30-2004 at 18:32 Reply With Quote Report Post to Moderator
Seems real so far...

Gunslinger,

Your fledgling relationship seems legitimate to me.

In general, you should be wary of indicators where the girl falls in love with you too quickly, or *needs* money from you for one reason or another or otherwise develops the relationship far faster than the norm.

Like others have said, you should also look carefully at the letters. Look for signs that she is writing to you and not writing some generic letter.

I am currently in the middle of an international relationship with a very wonderful woman in Ukraine. Our relationship started similar to yours, except that she is fluent in English. We exchanged pictures and email messages. And, we now talk on the phone nearly daily. (I pay 16c/min when calling her mobile.)

She never asks me for money, and made a big deal when I sent her a big basket of fruit, cheese and meats. I think she wanted me to know that she doesn't expect me to send her anything. Of course, she didn't complain when I sent her flowers and a stuffed dog!

She also dislikes having phone sex. She wants to save that for the real thing with me. Oddly, I find that rather encouraging because a scammer would probably not be shy to use the lure of sex.

Like you, we have not yet met. In my opinion, it is paramount that we meet in person. She cannot come see me. Therefore, I must go to her. Besides, I am the man. (Not meaning to be chauvinistic here!) From the time when we first began our correspondence to my scheduled arrival date in Ukraine, it will be almost 6 months.

She is kind of naive about the breadth of the international dating industry. She was very surprised when I told her of some of the scams going on. I also told her that she is either sincere, or she is the world's best actress and most patient scammer.

One more thing: she is 12 years younger than I am. I think that is acceptable considering she is 25 and I am 37. In other words, she is old enough to appreciate much of the vicissitudes of life.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out!

SCL
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Replies By scl08816 (only searches replies by default, for topics please run another search) U2U Member
Billymo

posted on 06-10-2004 at 16:43 Reply With Quote Report Post to Moderator
Julia

Hey Gunslinger..

I am corresponding with Julia from Riga..! Coincidence..? Hmm... She said her friend gave her my address from the yahoo personals.. So far, no requests for money..
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Replies By Billymo (only searches replies by default, for topics please run another search) U2U Member
Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites

Processed in 0.014 seconds, 12 queries

Foreign women forum reserves the right to block, delete, or edit any and all posts. The Moderator has sole discretion on the content of this site. Anyone who posts accepts these terms, and waives any and all rights to bring any legal action against Foreign women forum. If you disapprove of any of the above, do not use, read, or post in Foreign women forum